Xanax (Alprazolam) XR | 2mg
Xanax (Alprazolam) XR | 2mg: XANAX XR is a prescription medicine used to treat panic disorder, with or without a fear of places and situations that might cause panic, helplessness, or embarrassment (agoraphobia)
- XANAX XR is a federal controlled substance (C-IV) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep XANAX XR in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away XANAX XR may harm others, and is against the law. Tell your healthcare provider if you have abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines or street drugs.
- It is not known if XANAX XR is safe and effective in children.
- Elderly patients are especially susceptible to dose related adverse effects when taking XANAX (Alprazolam) XR.
- It is not known if XANAX XR is safe and effective in the treatment of panic disorder for use longer than 8 weeks.
What are the possible side effects of XANAX XR?
XANAX XR may cause serious side effects, including:
- See “What is the most important information I should know about XANAX XR?”
- Abuse and dependence. Taking XANAX XR can cause physical and psychological dependence. Physical and psychological dependence is not the same as drug addiction. Your healthcare provider can tell you more about the differences between physical and psychological dependence and drug addiction.
- Withdrawal symptoms. You may have withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking XANAX XR suddenly. Withdrawal symptoms can be serious and include seizures. Mild withdrawal symptoms include a depressed mood and trouble sleeping. Talk to your healthcare provider about slowly stopping XANAX XR to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- Seizures. Stopping XANAX XR can cause seizures and seizures that will not stop (status epilepticus).
- Mania. XANAX XR may cause an increase in activity and talking (hypomania and mania) in people who have depression.
The most common side effects of XANAX XR include:
- difficult or unclear ability to talk
- problems with coordination
- memory problems
The chemical name of alprazolam is 8-chloro-1-methyl-6-phenyl-4H-s-triazolo [4,3-α] [1,4] benzodiazepine. The molecular formula is C17H3ClN4 which corresponds to a molecular weight of 308.76.
The structural formula is represented below:
Alprazolam is a white crystalline powder, which is soluble in methanol or ethanol but which has no appreciable solubility in water at physiological pH.
Each XANAX XR extended-release tablet, for oral administration, contains 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg, or 3 mg of alprazolam. The inactive ingredients are lactose, magnesium stearate, colloidal silicon dioxide, and hypromellose. In addition, the 1 mg and 3 mg tablets contain D & C yellow No. 10 and the 2 mg and 3 mg tablets contain FD&C blue No. 2.